One of the most popular Ilish delicacies is Illish Paturi. Today’s Recipe from Kalapatay Kalorab Kitchen is Ilish Paturi, shared by our Viewer and member of the IBG NEWS contributor team from Mumbai. She is a master artist in cooking and baking.
The ilish (Tenualosa ilisha) (Bengali: ইলিশ, romanized: iliš), also known as the ilisha, hilsa, hilsa herring or hilsa shad, is a species of fish related to the herring, in the family Clupeidae. It is a very popular and sought-after food fish in the Indian Subcontinent. The most famous Hilsha fish comes from Chandpur District, Bangladesh. It is the national fish of Bangladesh and the state fish of West Bengal. The fish contributes about 12% of the total fish production and about 1.15% of GDP in Bangladesh. On 6 August 2017, the Department of Patents, Designs and Trademarks under the Ministry of Industries of Bangladesh has declared the recognition of Ilish as the product of Bangladesh.86% (2021) of the total produced Ilish in the world is produced in Bangladesh which applied for Geographical Indication (GI) in 2004. About 450,000 people are directly involved in the catching of the fish as a large part of their livelihood; around four to five million people are indirectly involved with the trade.
In Bengal and Odisha, ilish can be smoked, fried, steamed or baked in young plantain leaves, prepared with mustard seed paste, curd, eggplant, different condiments like jira (cumin), and so on. It is said that people can cook ilish in more than 50 ways. Ilish roe is also popular as a side dish. Ilish can be cooked in very little oil since the fish itself is very oily.
Ilish Paturi By কলাপাতায় কলরব © Feast on Banana Leaf
- Ilish Fish-6 pieces medium size
- Black mustard seeds- 3tbsp,
- White mustard seeds- 3tbsp,
- Grated coconut- 2tbsp,
- Green Chillies- 7-9 pcs
- Mustard Oil- as needed
- Turmeric powder -1tsp, Salt- as your taste,
- Sugar- 1/2 tsp(optional)
- Wash fish pieces properly. If stored in a freezer, keep it for some time to bring in to normal temperature before starting the preparation..
- Apply turmeric powder and salt on pieces of fish & mix very well
- Heat 3tbsp mustard oil in a pan & slightly fry fish pieces. This will remove raw smell of fish.
- Grind both types of mustard together & strain the mixture to get fine paste without husks
- Then grind & make a paste of coconut, green chillies (3-4 pcs),salt, mustard paste( already prepared), 2tbsp mustard oil (in this case you can use oil in which we fried fish pieces will give strong aroma of Ilish if you like) sugar together.
- Now take fish pieces & mixture/ paste together, mix well & marinate for 10minutes.
- Divide banana leaf into small 6 pieces.
- Take banana leaves and put 1 piece of marinated fish into 1 small part of banana leaf
- Then wrapped the leaves and tie with thread to hold the leaf and fish like a pack
- Then place all pieces in a microwave bowl and cook for 6-7 mins at micro- hi temp. Or
- Place all pieces in a Kadai & sim the gas and cook in steam for 10-12 mins and then switch off the gas
Serve hot with Rice, Ghee rice, Jeera Rice, or Basanti Palau
At the author’s request, we have not published her name. She is a very well-known face in Mumbai, India, in the culinary artistry world for her unique and elegant food presentation and taste, but if you want to talk with her kindly, send your emails to firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: ” Ilish Paturi By কলাপাতায় কলরব © Feast on Banana Leaf“