Ben-Gurion University invites applications for postdoctoral positions in geophysical fluid mechanics
Two open postdoctoral positions in geophysical fluid dynamics are available at the
Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Lab
June 28, 2021: The Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (BGU), Israel has announced two openings for Postdoctoral positions in geophysical fluid dynamics funded by the German-Israeli Foundation for Scientific Research and Development (GIF) in an international project titled “Instabilities in ice flow and the genesis of ice streams.”
Research goals: The flow of many ice streams is believed to be strongly controlled by complex lubrication networks located underneath the ice that consist of water and deformable sediments. Fluid mechanically, this phenomenon can be modelled theoretically and experimentally as a hydrodynamic instability in gravity currents of complex fluids. The goal of this project is to investigate the mechanism of such an instability and the potential genesis of ice streams by combining laboratory experiments, theoretical analyses, numerical simulations, and geophysical observations (collaboration with Angelika Humbert, Alfred Wagner Inst., Germany)
For more details check our website at https://www.bgu.ac.il/~roiy/positions.pdf
Workplace: The Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Lab, Ben-Gurion University, Israel
Application deadline: July 18, 2021
Available fellowships: Two fellowships, each for 2 years with potential for a 1-year extension.
(i) Postdoc (Experimental fluid mechanics)
(ii) Postdoc (Theoretical fluid mechanics)
Start date: A.S.A.P.
Qualifications: Strong background in experimental or theoretical fluid dynamics, excellent oral and writing skills in English. Background in ice dynamics is an advantage.
· Interview for short-listed candidates
· Vibrant working environment and access to state-of-the-art infrastructure.
· Fully equipped modern laboratories.
· A dynamic lab group surrounded by an international team of experts.
· Involvement in national and international projects.
· Full support of the administrative and project offices.
How to apply:
· Submit CV along with statement of interest and two reference letters sent by referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org