20 things Mamata Banerjee said at Trinamool’s extended core committee meeting
Trinamool Chairperson Mamata Banerjee today addressed the extended core committee meeting at Nazrul Mancha.
In her speech, she attacked the Centre on demonetisation and hasty implementation of GST. She termed demonetisation “the biggest scam” and asked party workers to observe ‘Black Day’ on November 8 (the anniversary of demonetisation).
She also slammed the Opposition in Bengal for their negative politics.
Here are 20 things that Mamata Banerjee said at Trinamool’s extended core committee meeting:
- The festive season was peaceful without any untoward incident anywhere. Despite so many provocations and conspiracies, attempts to incite riots and violence were thwarted by the people. Credit must go to the local clubs, puja committees and administration.
- Trinamool did not come power by sitting on armchairs. There is no room for complacency. Trinamool stands for mass movement. Trinamool stands for people. Trinamool stands for struggle. We lost thousands of our party workers. The new generation must be aware of the history of the party. I have documented our struggles in my books.
- Listen to what people are saying on social media. Reach out to them. We are a pro-people party. We will never take any decision which is against the interests of the people.
- There is no place for groupism or ego-fights in Trinamool. We will not tolerate anti-party activities. Party discipline is foremost. If you cannot follow it, you are free to leave. It is difficult to earn respect but very easy to lose it. A true leader is one who has people by their side. Workers are our biggest assets.
- The media in Delhi is controlled by the ruling party at Centre. They cannot open their mouth against the Centre. If they dare to do so, they are threatened by the agencies like ED and CBI. The American can criticise Trump but the Indian media does not speak against Modi.
- The Centre is running a dictatorial regime. They cannot break the TMC with intimidations and politics of coercion. We will speak out against any injustice.
- The Opposition in Bengal does not play a constructive role. All the three parties have joined hands to fight us. Ram-Shyam and Ghanshyam have come together to form a ghont (unholy alliance).
- There is blatant use of money power by the Centre. The ruling party is using black money to finish off all small parties. They want only one party to exist. They are now buying votes with money power in Gujarat.
- We will observe ‘Kala Dibas’ (Black Day) in all blocks on November 8 to mark the anniversary of demonetisation. Rallies will be organised between 2-3 PM. Prepare slogans to reach out to people.
- Demonetisation is the biggest scam. There must be an investigation into it. I had tweeted within 45 minutes of the announcement. Today Manmohan Singh, P Chidambaram, Arun Shourie are saying the same thing. Even eminent economists have spoken out against demonetisation.
- What purpose did demonetisation serve? Did it weed out black money? No. Did it put an end to terrorism? No. Only one party converted its black money into white. They have also stashed away their black money abroad.
- I have also received threats for speaking out. They threaten to use the CBI against me. Let them do whatever they want to. In Tagore’s words, this ‘monihar’ (necklace of gems) – referring to CBI – will turn into ‘bishhar’ (necklace of poison) once they are out of power.
- They are coercing people to link their Aadhaar with their mobile number. This is their tactic. Even a private conversation between a husband and wife will now be pried on. Will there be no privacy left? I refuse to link my mobile number with Aadhaar. Left the service providers cut off my connection if necessary.
- People are now scared of the phrase “mitron”. They keep harping on about their 56 inch ‘chhati’ (chest). We don’t need a ‘chhati’. We need a ‘chhata’ (umbrella) of unity that gives protection to people.
- Despite a huge burden of debt (around Rs 2 lakh crore), we are carrying out all developmental programmes and schemes. 8.5 crore people receive rice at Rs 2/kg under Khadya Sathi. We have distributed 70 lakh cycles under Sabuj Sathi scheme. We have distributed scholarships under Siksha Shree scheme to 1.14 crore students. Over a crore minority students have received scholarships. We have distributed 15 lakh saplings under Sabuj Shree scheme. Healthcare is free in Bengal.
- After the floods, Assam and Bihar got financial aid from the Centre. We don’t begrudge them. But Bengal was not given a single penny. Why? Because BJP is in power in these States and not in Bengal? They are systematically destroying the federal structure.
- Bengal has been vocal against the hasty implementation of GST. But the Centre did not listen to us. And now the small and medium enterprises have been badly hit. The system was not prepared at all. About 50% people could not do uplinking. Total system failure. Almost 1 lakh people lost their jobs in Surat alone.
- The Centre is manipulating growth figures. The GDP growth has fallen from 7% to 5.7% in the last quarter. They have zero performance. They only speak the language of riots and violence.
- We will keep raising the issues concerning people. We will bring them up in Parliament. They threaten to put us in jail; let them do it. We will not bow down.
- We are a pro-people party. People are our strength. Trinamool is like a big banyan tree that gives shade to all. People are the ultimate judge in a democracy.